Imre Goth
(1893 - 1982)

Das Kasperle-Theatre 1930

£1,950.00

SKU: 1627
Signed, inscribed with title and dated
Pen and ink and watercolour over pencil, 12 1/4 x 10 3/4 in. (31 x 27 cm.)

Size:
Height – 31cm
Width – 27cm

1 in stock

DESCRIPTION

The first Kasperl Theatre, (Kasperl translates as “Punch”) was opened in Vienna in 1781 by Marienelli in the Leopoldst√§dter Theater (also known as “Kasperl Theater”). Their afer performances became commonplace across Europe. Goth born was born in Szeged, Hungary, studied at Budapest Academy of Fine Arts, then in the 1920s in Berlin.

Disclaimer:
Liss Llewellyn are continually seeking to improve the quality of the information on their website. We actively undertake to post new and more accurate information on our stable of artists. We openly acknowledge the use of information from other sites including Wikipedia, artbiogs.co.uk and Tate.org and other public domains. We are grateful for the use of this information and we openly invite any comments on how to improve the accuracy of what we have posted.

THE ARTIST

Goth, Imre

1893 – 1982

Painter, notably of portraits, and inventor, born in Szeged, Hungary, who studied at Budapest Academy of Fine Arts, then in the 1920s in Berlin. He became noted for fashionable portraits of film stars and among his patrons was Field Marshal Hermann Goering, the Nazi air chief. After a successful exhibition in Birmingham at the New Grafton Galleries, in 1935 Goth moved to England where through friendship with the Hungarian film director Alexander Korda he came to paint portraits used in productions staring Ralph Richardson, Michael Wilding, Ann Todd and Margaret Leighton. When later in life Goth’s eyesight failed he returned to inventing. In Berlin he had designed parachutes and headlights for cars. In London he formed a company to market his inventions, which included a non-drip device for bottles. Exhibitions of his work were held in 1939 at the Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, and Russell-Cotes Museum & Art Gallery, Bournemouth; in 1948 at RP; and in 1949 at Grundy Art Gallery, Blackpool.

MORE PICTURES BY ARTIST