While Cundall made numerous sketching trips, travelling extensively in Europe, he was especially drawn to Paris. Painting en plein-air, directly on to prepared panels, the best of his work retains a vitality which he sometimes lost when working up the finished, larger, paintings in his studio. Saint-Cloud is a wealthy commune in the western suburbs of Paris, which at the time of this painting was being transformed by the extension of the métro line from Boulevard Exelmans. This painting was exhibited at the Old Grosvenor Galleries in 1923 in an exhibition of works by Charles Cundall, Harold Knight, H.M.Livens and Fairlie Harmar (1876-1945). One of thirty-two Cundalls included, four were of English views, with twelve French views (Paris and Normandy) and the remaining works of Italian topography.