Provenance: in the artist’s possession until 1979; thence with
his wife Eleanor Christie-Chatterley until 2012.
Literature: Buckman, David, Nature and Humanity, The Work
of Fyffe Christie, 1918:1979, Sansom & Co, 2004
This design was made into a a stained glass panel by Christie as a test
piece for Whitefriars. Fyffe Christie had learned about stained glass probably
from Sadie Mc Lellan the celebrated stained glass artist, married to
Walter Pritchard . He did not get on with Whitefriars and stayed only a
Christie studied at Glasgow School of Art, 1946-50, mural painting
under Walter Pritchard. He gained the Newberry Medal in 1950 and a
post-diploma year’s study. After a period teaching and a six-month
travelling scholarship – to which period this watercolour dates – Christie resumed teaching
and completed many murals, including Glasgow University and the Iona
Community House. With his wife Eleanor, a sculptor, he moved to London
in 1957 and again taught, while completing murals and much other work.
We are grateful to Eleanor Christie-Chatterley for assistance.