Dunbar, Evelyn

(1906 – 1960)

The Childrens Shop: mice (recto), birds (verso) [HMO 749]

SKU: 6305

Oil on wood. 

Size:
Height: 47cm
Width: 60.1cm

DESCRIPTION

Provenance:
Roger Folley; Alasdair Dunbar; Hammer Mill Oast Collection

Exhibited: Evelyn Dunbar – The Lost Works, Pallant House Gallery, October 2015 – February 2016, cat 76.

Literature: Evelyn Dunbar – The Lost Works, eds Sacha Llewellyn & Paul Liss, July 2015, cat. 76, page 120;

Evelyn Dunbar: A Life in Painting, Christopher Campbell-Howes, October 2016, page 241. 

This panel was painted to advertise The Children’s Shop, Jessie and Marjorie Dunbar’s (Evelyn’s sisters) shop in Rochester High Street as part of an exhibition of Dunbar family businesses in December 1938. It was designed to be suspended from above, like an inn-sign. Over the years Evelyn contributed various forms of artwork, headed notepaper (Evelyn Dunbar – The Lost Works CAT 80) and other stationery (idem CAT 77), publicity panels and this delightful signboard for the shop with its frolicking mice and sparrows (idem CAT 76). Peyton Skipwith

We are grateful to Christopher Campbell-Howes for assistance.

Disclaimer:
Liss Llewellyn are continually seeking to improve the quality of the information on their website. We actively undertake to post new and more accurate information on our stable of artists. We openly acknowledge the use of information from other sites including Wikipedia, artbiogs.co.uk and Tate.org and other public domains. We are grateful for the use of this information and we openly invite any comments on how to improve the accuracy of what we have posted.

THE ARTIST

Dunbar, Evelyn

1906 – 1960

Evelyn Dunbar studied at Rochester School of Art, Chelsea School
of Art (1927) and the Royal College of Art (1929’33). She painted
murals from 1933 -36 at Brockley School, a collaboration with her
RCA tutor (and lover) Cyril Mahoney (1903’1968) and in 1937
they wrote and illustrated together Gardeners’ Choice. 

In 1938 she set up the Blue Gallery in Rochester, exhibiting her
own work alongside that of Edward Bawden (1903’1989) and
Barnett Freedman (1901’1958) and others. In 1940 she was
appointed an official war artist, becoming the only woman (amongst
36 men) to be given a full time salaried position by the WAAC. 

She held her only solo exhibition at Withersdane, Wye, Kent
in 1953, although the WAAC included numerous pieces in touring
exhibitions ranging from Aberdeen Art Gallery to MOMA, New York. 

A posthumous exhibition was held in 2006 at St Barbe
Museum and Art Gallery, and in 2015 Liss Llewellyn mounted a
major retrospective of her recently rediscovered studio at Pallant
House Gallery. 

MORE PICTURES BY ARTIST

Evelyn Dunbar
Study for July, Gardeners Diary 1938, 1937
£1,850.00
Evelyn Dunbar
Studies for Mercatora, an allegorical painting (whereabouts unknown) [HMO 173]
£2,500.00
Evelyn Dunbar
Colour study for sub-gallery spandrels at Brockley County School for Boys [HMO 551]
£2,350.00
Evelyn Dunbar
Portrait of the artist Margaret Goodwin
£2,950.00